On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 09:36:41AM -0600, Todd Millecam wrote:
> Sorry I've been slacking off on my meeting scheduling duties.  Anywho,
> it's time to get back on track with the "more frequent meetings."  A
> week from today, Peter McNabb has volunteered to give a presentation on
> CLI productivity apps.  He still hasn't given me his intro--but I'm sure
> he'll do his own self-promotion on the list soon.
>
> This will be November 6 in room 230 TNRB.  6:30-7:00 will be tech
> support, and 7-9 will be the meeting.  See you there!

Several years ago I bought a 12" PowerBook. I was impressed with Apple's
attention to usability in its line of desktop applications and found
myself attached to Mail, iCal, Addressbook, iChat (well, Adium really),
and others. I spent the next few years dependent on my laptop, toting it
around everywhere I went.

One day I realized that Apple was in control of my data (and life), and
I needed to either buy an iPhone or get back to basics (much cheaper).

At Thursday's meeting I intend to walk through some of the CLI programs
I now use, such as mutt & abook, irssi & bitlbee, remind & wyrd, and
several others. I'll also show how to make better use of utilities like
screen, vim, and bash in the context of the others. Hopefully this will
give you some ideas on ways to become more productive with awesome OSS
tools.

See you there,
 Peter

p.s. Look forward to "a somewhat heavy binary grab bag prize."