I thought I'd take a quick moment and make note of three things that
have happened related to the open source community and linux that have
happened within the last ten days, all of which make me quite happy.

# 3 - nvidia close source drivers, vdpau (vc-1, mpeg2/4, x264) hardware
level decoding with mplayer patches (beta) (buy a cheap 8600 something
and relieve your overworked processor in your pvr)

# 2 - adobe releases alpha flash 10 64 bit for linux

# 1 - creative opensources their 18k lines of code for their alsa based,
x-fi linux driver (I know they are just throwing in the towel, but I'm
still happy).

Now, given that I have a nvidia graphics card (albeit one that should
work with vdpau but doesn't (took me too long to figure that one out) -
has to be newer than the G80 to work), run 64 bit linux, and have an
x-fi sound card, I am swimming in linux bliss.

Oh, and the i7 came out.

So, let us all take a moment and bow our heads in recognition of this
momentous occasion.!

--
Jonathan Wilson