The school of education* got their first Macbook Pros around March of 2006.
Robert's assessment of 3 years old reflects the standard warranted life of
most university computers, so Intel macs might possibly show up at surplus
sales this summer. This is somewhat unlikely though, because all PPC macs
that aren't needed for legacy software would be surplused first. And
absolutely NO fully functional laptops would make it to surplus without
first spending time on other projects. Once these hurdles have been crossed,
university employees get first dibs at equipment.

If you are serious about a discounted intel mac, try ebay, craigslist or the
BYU bookstore, but don't plan on the surplus sale for a year or 2 (when the
education lab pushes their flat panel imacs to largers screens again). The
mini is about due for an update, and paying a couple hundred dollars over
surplus sale prices for a modern mini is your best bet if you can scrounge
up ~$600

Scott K.

* I graduated in Dec 2006 and don't know their machine allocation for the
last couple of years. But please ask me about employment and internships at
AST.