On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Phillip Hellewell <ssh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 09:49:39PM -0600, Robert LeBlanc wrote:
> >
> > My question, is there something in iptables that I'm missing that will
> help
> > the VPN clients guess the correct MTU since Comcast is braindead and
> drops
> > ICMP 3,4? I would still like to use 1500 for local LAN traffic. Is there
>
> I had VPN problems too a couple months ago, so I added these lines to my
> /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file:
>
> # PLH: Comcast is a freakin' idiot.
> supersede interface-mtu 1500;
>
> Everything was peachy after that, until Comcast did something else I didn't
> like so I switched to another ISP.

Phillip,

That did the trick! I would think that setting the MTU to greater than what
Comcast specified would cause packets to be silent dropped. This however
does not seem to be the case. This makes me agree more and more with the
iptables manpage that Comcast is braindead. Too bad there are no other
choices in my complex or I'd be back on Broadweave in a heartbeat.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University