Here's a problem one of you VMaxers may be able to solve: early ('83-'85?)
Ventures used a CICS "system" comprised of a 3"x12" plastic box with four
sealed chambers; each of which was plumbed into the intake port of one
cylinder via a rubber hose (look carefully at your VMax cylinder head
castings and you'll find vestigial bosses near each port).  The chambers
evidently acted as vacuum reservoirs -- but I can't imagine why they were
needed or what, if anything, they did.  There is no direct connection to the
carburetors (other than through the intake port) but I can run the Venture
with a wide open airbox and it seems to experience none of the usual CV
carburetor problems (coughing, bogging, excessive leaness). In fairness, it
has been suggested that the explanation for this phenomenon is size of the
early Venture pilot jets (42.5), so maybe it's not related to the CICS.

The Service Manual offers no description of the operation of the CICS -- and
provides no service guidance. Just another cute 80's acronym to sell bikes?

I'm mounting 1985 VMax heads & vboost on a 1300cc Venture motor (for
installation in my '83 Venture) and wonder if drilling those bosses and
remounting the CICS would improve/detract/not affect performance. I'll be
using the VMax flywheel and pickups with the '83's ignitor unit.  Your
comments would be appreciated -- but I subscribe to the digest so won't be
able to reply to any questions 'til the next day unless you want to contact
me off list.

TIA

Bill Miller