A follow-up on front end noise (metal to metal contact) caused by striking sharp bumps. I performed a Furbur fix and the noise is gone but several questions remain. In order to prevent the front forks from bouncing when they fell against their  stop I had to use much more than ten ft-lbs (est.) of torque. I can"t detect any low speed weave but the steering is noticeably heavier. Should I back off on the bottom nut? Also:
What is the torque spec for the top stem nut? Yamaha calls for 80 ftlbs which made the front end a little stiffer.
Has anyone tried to use a torque wrench with the factory spanner? The arrangement would appear to give a mechanical advantage to the wrench and create false readings.

                                 Thanks for the help, Fred Wilson

 Parts: one Corbin-Yamaha seat in good shape $200.00 obo