Steve, K&N & Dyno Jet are two different manufacturers that work
together. K&N makes the filters & Dyno Jet makes the jet kits .
  As far as exhaust systems go a 4-2-1 will make better torque down low
& in the mid range than a 4-1 system .
  My best advice to you as far as a pipe & jet kit goes is to attend a
few events & listen to the sound of the different
pipes, see what they look like on the bikes. Ask questions about fit ,
finish, ground clearence, what happens to the center stand, & which ones
have the clearence to brace the swingarm if you are heading that way as
far as chassis mods in the future . Then buy the one you want.
  I live in an area where within a 30 min ride there are at least 30
Vmaxes that I know of. I have seen many different states of tune &
chassis set ups. The best running over all bikes on the street with
smooth engines below 3000 rpm , very low maintainence as far as tuning
goes, with excellent off the line performance, are the ones with the
stock airbox , pipe of choice with a 2"can or Supertrapp slipons or
Mark's dual exhaust.  Shim the needles about 10-20 thou. & back out the
idle scews a little .
  As far as Stg7 goes it takes a lot of time, tuning experience, &
determination to make the system work well on the street . There are a
lot of people on this list that can help you out but you can't just take
it out of the box & follow the instructions & expect it to work well .
Some people get lucky though . The Stg 7 system was developed with the
Kerker exhaust . I was told it was the tipped system. Who knows for sure
?
  When it comes to the UFO system call Jon Cornell up & ask him the
questions . Does it match the Vgas system or can I expect some gains
with the stock carbs . What about swingarm bracing clearance if this is
a concern to you ? Do I keep the center stand ? What kind of weight
savings can I expect? etc...... Jon is getting some respectable numbers
off his dyno but I have not seen anyone post this..... I went to the
track and turned these times . Then I went to Jon Cornell . After he
tuned my bike by the addition of the Vgass system , pipe, etc ....... I
went back to the track and turned these times . These people are
spending thousands of dollers to gain maybe a half sec or less in the
quarter mile . Now in racing that is alot . You have to decide what is
important to you .
  What I'm trying to get accross here is that in my opinion you can jet
& pipe all you want but your adverage gain on the dyno with carefull
tuning is going to be about a ten Hp gain over all with the stock carbs
& intakes . Some get more & most get a lot less . A dyno reading will
not win a race. The street is a different enviornment than the race
track . You ride in or emphasize different rpm bands . Pick your
modifications acording to your pocket book, your experience or
willingness to go through the learning curve ,  listen to the people who
have truely been there before you,
& ask a lot of questions before you wip out the credit card . :)
  Next week I'll be riding with a lot of Vmaxers . What I will see is
that all the pipe and jetted and stock bikes will run about even . Some
will be a little faster off the line & some will be a little faster up
top, but no one will leave or embarrass the other .
In this class of bikes it is 99% rider and not the dyno numbers. The
real fun in this bike is fifteen years of modifications and the sky is
the limit as to what you can do and nowhere at anytime have I've seen
such a sharing of informatiom as to what the VMOA and these lists
provide .
Hope this helps
Eric H.