Steve,
It sounds like you don't need any more power !! You didn't say how
your 1500 was currently running, (driveability wise ... especially at
low RPMs ....). Anyhow .. you can do anything in regard to removing
intake resistance and probably get by with a lot less sensitivity than
the stockers ...... You could also get the stockers enlarged to 38mm
etc ... Below is a copy of Patrick's hybrid stage 7 ... using a
heavily cut airbox. If you aren't going to run open vboost all the
time .. you can do a lot more for low end responsiveness via your
pilot jetting ..........
campbell #95

V-Maxers; -- For you guy's and gal's that want to go for a DYNO JET
Stage 7 and want to keep the V-Boost set up and the air box I have
your
solution. This includes how to pay less for your Stage 7. After
installing my setup my V-Max pulled 122.8 HP first time out without
any
motorcycle mechanic intervention.
1. From DYNO JET order a Stage 1 with Stage 7 needles ( DNT 426 ) and
Corrector jets ( DCO 402 ) and the tool to put in corrector jets (
DT001
). Also order 4  ( DJ 175 ) main jets. Cost is $140.97 plus shipping.
Call DUSTY at DJ. Ask Dusty to send you a copy of a DJ Stage 7
instructions. 800-992-4993. Be nice, not everybody at DJ wants to be
this accommodating.
2. Replace stock filter with K&N replacement if you haven't. Take off
'Y' manifold of top of air box. Trim plastic on air box lid to conform
to filter shape. Trim 1/4" rubber lip off entrance of K&N filter.
Thats
all for the air box.
3. Follow Stage 7 instructions for jet and needle instructions. Don't
bother putting needle position 4 down, this is way to rich. Go to 3
down
and you will probably end up at 2 down like I did. How do you tell the
needle is rich? When you are going down the highway at 75-90 MPH the
motor at a steady speed has a gargle or burble sound instead of a nice
purposeful drone. I'm sure DJ's 4 down setting is to start you out
rich.
4. Almost everybody that has a stage 7 uses DJ 175 on the mains. It
seems to be a good street setting. I have the feeling that DJ 170
might
be a better DYNO setting because of the leanness.
5. I could not find a definitive setting on the idle screws with the
v-boost open so I set the idle screws at 2 1/2 out. Works just fine.
Set
idle around 1200-1300 RPM.
6. To V-Boost or not to V-Boost ? That is the question.....My setup is
with the V-Boost open. I tried both ways. I liked open better because
of
the FAT midrange. Some claim the peak HP is the same. Peak HP is
always
with V-Boost open on in both cases. My recommendations are designed
for
V-Boost open.
The down side of V-Boost open is a rough idle ( it has a look at me
quality ) and sometimes poor starting when cold as in my case. My
V-Max
has always been a poor starter when cold so what I did was put a
reverse
polarity switch on the servo motor that operates the V-Boost. Others
have used cables. The switch ( IMHO ) is the easier install. When
starting I just close the V-Boost. When the engine warms up a tad I
open
the V-Boost. I also close the V-Boost in bumper to bumper traffic for
nice stock idle and easier putting along. For instructions on switch
contact me.
7. For everything to work right your slides need to be free and clean.
You also need to synch your carbs. Float levels can have a  effect on
your idle mixture. After all is installed and you have this problem it
can be corrected easily. Contact me for the solution.

My setup pulled 122.8 HP with a very heavy Bridgestone tire (9 lbs.+ )
and a hurried Dyno session. I had to drive 80 miles to get there. With
little planning and some leaner mixtures on the main jet I feel you
should be able to do better on the Dyno. My present setup is KICK A*&
fun and runs just perfect. The operator of the DYNO George Babor of
Babor Performance Motors of Clearwater, Fl , was impressed and felt
the
jetting was just right. My reading was the best he had seen of
numerous
V-Maxes he had done.

Patrick Ahearn
VMOA #570