Steven,
I have been getting all my fasteners at McMaster Carr,
http://www.mcmaster.com/ . I am sure there are plenty of places to get
these things but I have been getting them there. They have standard
thread pitch charts and a wide selection of materials. I also have
used a bunch of their half/height socket heads on the carbs etc

For the rear exhaust shields .......

- on the ribbed/painted piece there are two screws/bolts on each side
... the top is 5x25mm w/ standard .8mm pitch if you want 316 stainless
.. it is McMaster part no: 92290A252 ....

- the bottom screw on the ribbed/painted piece is the problem ... it
is 5x45mm but has a finer non-standard .7mm pitch ... I gave up
looking for these and bought two from Yamaha - part no: 90110-05108-00
BOLT, HEXAGON SOCKET HEAD .

- the one that goes through the "hole" in the chrome tail (attached to
the ribbed part) is a 5x8mm .. standard thread, (need one for each
side).

- there is one inside of the "chrome" tail that holds it in place ..
this is 5x10 ... standard thread, (you need one for each side).

- there are three total that hold the curved flat plate/shield that
covers the rear exhaust .. they are all 6x12mm .. standard pitch,
(1mm).

- I also picked up some 5 and 6mm 316 - stainless washers to go under
these guys - McMaster - 90965A170 and 90965A160 ...

Some of these fasteners must be purchased in a min quantify of 10 ..
many you have to buy a box .. so it is not a big deal if you are
changing out the carb stack fasteners and other things or give sets
away to your friends etc ... Some of the materials used can make the
fasteners extremely expensive, (you can always use titanium etc ..).
For these though .. I wanted them to come off the next time I put the
hex in them etc .... Also .. for most fasteners on the bike you can
derive the diameter and length from the center digits of the Yamaha
part number. The one mentioned above, (the 45mm long screw), is one of
the very few exceptions that I am aware of. You can always check out
www.hlsm.com to get part numbers and look at the assembly ... As far
as clean up on the shields themselves .. mine were not cracked or
anything and they polished up very nice with "mothers" ......
campbell