Just two very early comments, and one question:
You mentioned that it should be possible to write certain bytecode handlers as native builtins. How about doing that for the call opcode? Because that seems
like a lot of machinery in TurboFan to support this very special opcode.

https://codereview.chromium.org/1323463005/diff/1/src/compiler/x64/code-generator-x64.cc
File src/compiler/x64/code-generator-x64.cc (right):

https://codereview.chromium.org/1323463005/diff/1/src/compiler/x64/code-generator-x64.cc#newcode1247
src/compiler/x64/code-generator-x64.cc:1247: __ movp(kScratchRegister,
Operand(args_start, 0));
This sequence is probably not x32 safe. You should just use
Push(Operand(args_start, 0)) instead.

https://codereview.chromium.org/1323463005/diff/1/src/compiler/x64/instruction-selector-x64.cc
File src/compiler/x64/instruction-selector-x64.cc (right):

https://codereview.chromium.org/1323463005/diff/1/src/compiler/x64/instruction-selector-x64.cc#newcode1223
src/compiler/x64/instruction-selector-x64.cc:1223:
Emit(kX64PushMultiple, g.NoOutput(), g.UseRegister(args_start),
Mhm, I have mixed feelings with this, but on the other hand I cannot
think of a better solution.