On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 7:55 PM Alexander Neville <d...@volatile.bz> wrote:

> Hi. I'm a new contributor to V8 and I came across
> https://crbug.com/v8/6949 while looking for something to get started
> with. I've read the design doc linked there and have a general idea of how
> this is supposed to be done, but I still have a few questions.

V8 has mostly moved on to Torque since that bug was filed, by now it
probably adds more value to port builtins to Torque rather than typing
them. There's many, many examples of similar work that you could use as
documentation, take a look at

 $ git log --grep=Port src/builtins/*.tq

But there's also a lot of complexity involved. I'd recommend starting off
with the simplest builtin you can find and porting that. The rest will
hopefully become clear in the review process.

Answering below for completeness:

> 1. Should I avoid having a mix untyped and typed code in the same builtin
> provided nothing regresses? An example would be leaving a specific variable
> untyped until I'm 100% sure what type it is actually supposed to be.

Personal preference: it should be 100% typed and we should be clear on what
the correct type is.

> 2. Is there a list of the types and their uses anywhere so I don't have to
> dig though code to find everything?

No. Well, kinda; the object hierarchy is defined in src/objects.h and
src/objects/.

> 3. Is there anything else that I should be aware of that is easy to miss?

Yes. ;)