I maintain V8 bindings for the R programming language, for which we provide
static v8 libraries for the most common distros, including one for alpine
linux, and an arm64 build  cross compiled on Debian. The builds are
dockerized and automated in ci: https://github.com/jeroen/build-v8-static

Now a user has requested an arm64 binary for alpine, but I am having a hard
time making this work. Afaict, alpine has no cross compilers. So I tried to
build it natively on arm64 hardware (docker on m1) but the build fails with:

 Assertion failed.
  assert(v8_snapshot_toolchain != "",\n^-----\nDo not know how to build a
snapshot for //build/toolchain/linux:clang_x64 on linux arm64
  See //BUILD.gn:17:1: whence it was imported.

I suspect part of the problem may be that uname reports aarch64 instead of
arm64?