Thanks for the thoughtful response, Jakob! You make a good point that the
Maglev versus Turbofan code size is now a major factor. I think that the
conversations I'm referring to occurred before Maglev was on by default, so
the behavior may be notably different now. I'm not entirely sure when or if
I'll get the time to dig into this topic further, but I just wanted to
check that I wouldn't be working on an idea that somebody else had already
tried and discarded.

Cheers,
Seth