Updates:

Comment #3 on issue 1944 by yang...@chromium.org: Date.parse doesn't accept leap second
http://code.google.com/p/v8/issues/detail?id=1944

The ECMA262 spec says "In time values leap seconds are ignored." without really saying what that implies (ignore their existence, returning NaN, or ignore their effect, returning the same time as the second that follows?).

What bothers me is that fake leap seconds are also accepted in this suggestion, such as '1999-12-31T22:55:60.999'. A quick test on the current releases of Firefox and Safari shows that both also return NaN.

Please understand that we do not want to introduce new behavior if not for compatibility to other browsers or official conformance tests. However, both may change in the future.