Comment #7 on issue 2340 by yang...@chromium.org: Force format stack traces for Errors that survived major GC
http://code.google.com/p/v8/issues/detail?id=2340

We already have a weak referencing list on error objects that we need to format in order to release objects. We are just not taking advantage of it yet because formatting it after every GC may cause side effects and crash Chromium for example due to unexpected access checks (the global object may be destroyed already).

If Chromium knows it wants to have error objects release attached objects, then it could tell V8 to format those error objects' stack traces, at the same time making sure that side effects are OK. Then again those side effects may be observable, something we may not want.