Furthermore, with this patch the observed behavior is correct in every way.
It is once we implement the @@create hook the current behavior needs to be
refined to support subclassing.

I apologize for not including all of this information in the CL
description. A better description could have done a lot to reduce peoples
immediate concerns.

--
erik