Comment #3 on issue 2917 by edy.b...@gmail.com: Parser doesn't work well when keywords are used as parameter names
http://code.google.com/p/v8/issues/detail?id=2917

I feel like I need to pedantic: 1.7 is Mozilla's versioning, the standard (in draft form) is ES6 (ECMAScript version 6), codenamed Harmony. In this case, enabling Harmony features in v8 (I'm guessing block bindings) slightly changes how the parser works, so "let" becomes a keyword, making it invalid as an identifier, just like "var" is in ES5.

This is how v8 behaves in node.js:
node -e '(function(var){})'
SyntaxError: Unexpected token var
node -e '(function(let){})'
(no error)
node --harmony -e '(function(let){})'
SyntaxError: Unexpected token let

About "Experimental JS" in Chrome, it's somewhat inconvenient because it doesn't give you finer control, and certain websites/apps just break with it, as some of the code is no longer valid in ES6.

The lack of per-site (or per-script-tag) control is a valid Chromium issue (and you should check https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list for that), but v8 is acting as intended.