Comment #15 on issue 3060 by jkumme...@chromium.org: V8 3.23.1 and later do not honor v8::V8::IgnoreOutOfMemoryException()
http://code.google.com/p/v8/issues/detail?id=3060

- isolates are for data separation, not for crash robustness
- as mentioned before, in case of "true OOM" killing the process is the only sane thing to do; "simulated OOM" as in "maxed out the configured limit" may be different but introducing the distinction would be a lot of work - in particular, "lock the isolate and return an error" is much harder than you'd think - yes, if you want robustness against process crashes you need a multi-process architecture, that's why Chrome has one - considering that V8 is being used in the setting it was conceived for (and has been for years), I would indeed think that its behavior is acceptable - that said, I agree that the OOM handling isn't quite ideal, which is why this bug is still open - that said, don't expect any rapid progress, as the first step is to figure out what's desirable and what's feasible, and the entire issue isn't very high on anyone's priority list right now.