Hi,

as you have correctly observed, the timeline plot only takes those
callbacks into account that are done in a VMState scope: VMState changes to
and from EXTERNAL are logged. Fast API calls, i.e. jitted ones, are
therefore not logged. That is, unless you specify --log-timer-events, which
causes V8 to compile runtime calls before and after those fast API calls to
log those calls (unless things have changed recently. Just grep for
"FLAG_log_timer_events"). The reason it's behind a flag is that it would
distort runtime considerably. The plot script tries to accomodate for those
distortions so that the plot result reasonably well in most cases.

And you are right that the timeline tool doesn't offer any deep insight
into DOM operations.

Btw. the plot script works in Chrome as standalone page now:
https://x20web.corp.google.com/~yangguo/profviz/profviz/profviz.html

Regards,

Yang