Thanks! I found this article which describes the process in a bit more
detail.

http://www.jayconrod.com/posts/55/a-tour-of-v8-garbage-collection

Part of the problem I was looking at was why v8 was spending so much time
in the garbage collector when I profiled it. It turns out that was because
it was in debug and it was doing lots of extra work compared to release.

Cheers,
Craig