If you did do the rename, the next time someone did a `git fetch`, git
would warn that there was no matching history. If they subsequently do a
`git merge origin/master` (or if they just ran `git pull` in the first
place), there probably won't be any conflicts (especially if the files are
all the same), however their local history would not match the remote
history - they would have a local merge commit whose parents were the new
'origin/master' and the old 'origin/master'. If anyone with push rights
tried to push this (and succeeded), all the old history would be
reintroduced again.

A way to avoid this is to run `git pull --rebase` or `git fetch && git
rebase origin/master` once after the rename, but it's often difficult to
educate users of git to do this. However, looking at the number of
committers, this might not be too difficult. You could also watch for all
the pushes at code review time, and ensure no one is pushing the old
history.

It's up to the project owners to decide if this is worthwhile.