On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Drew Wilson <atwil...@chromium.org> wrote:

> What impact do we expect on web compatibility from apps that may already
> be adding attributes named "include", etc to their String objects?
>
> I think that adding attributes that Firefox is already shipping should be
> relatively safe, but I'm very leery about being the first browser to add
> new attributes. What can we do to avoid a repeat of
> http://crbug.com/409858? Do we have any stats for how often these
> attributes are already in use in web pages (tricky, since some apps are
> legitimately using them for polyfill purposes)?

Correct, this is tricky. We do not have stats (and it is unclear how to get
those stats).
'contains' was renamed to 'includes' precisely to reduce possible web
compat breakage.
Unfortunately we will not know of any breakage until we ship this - it has
been available under a flag for some time, but it looks like nobody tests
with 'Experimental Javascript features' enabled.
Therefore enabling it early on canary in Chrome 41 process is our best
mitigation in this particular case.

Going forward, we have recently changed the definition of 'Experimental
Javascript fetaures' in Chrome to mean 'enable staged features' (per our
process https://developers.google.com/v8/launchprocess).
This means that this flag really enables only those features that we
consider quite mature, in particular they are expected to be stable and
implementation of them must be complete.
With that, we plan to evangelize enabling this flag among the power users,
so that we hear about any breakage early.

Dmitry