> To be clear the issue is the* current_hashes  [] *
> It's empty.
> It's set in get_toolchain_if_necesssary.py around line 480
>
>   current_hashes = CalculateToolchainHashes(target_dir, True)
>
> I'm not familiar with google builds and have no idea what it's looking
> for.

I can only repeat myself. It wouldn't enter this code if the environment
variable I mentioned above was set correctly. If you do enter this code,
it's not set. And it is expected to fail (it could fail in nicer ways for
sure).

The script get_toolchain_if_necessary.py is called in your above stack
trace in vs_toolchain.py line 336, in Update

This is roughly:
https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/v8/gypfiles/vs_toolchain.py?l=331

Update is called by SetEnvironmentAndGetRuntimeDllDirs line 44 which it
should not have entered in the first place as described above.

I'm building on a GYP_MSVS_VERSION=*2015*

 Not officially supported yet, but should compile at least. The variable
will probably be ignored as you're required to have msvs 2015 installed.

Cheers