We've actually been working on reducing memory overhead around the snapshot,
see the lazy builtins design doc at http://goo.gl/dxkYDZ. Note though that
this is
intended to reduce runtime memory use, not the size of the snapshot blob
itself. I'd
expect the snapshot blob to grow further in the future.

As Ben says below, it's possible to build V8 without a snapshot, but
startup costs will
increase significantly.

May I ask what your main concern is? Runtime memory consumption or binary
size?