On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 5:32 PM, Ian Ker-Seymer <i...@tryadhawk.com> wrote:

> Hey there!
>
> I am working on a project which embeds v8 and uses snapshots. We are
> calling v8 from ruby, and would like to be able to check whether or not a
> snapshot is valid (meaning it was created by a matching version of v8).
> Currently, `CheckVersion` will fatally abort, but we would like to be able
> to check the version and raise an error which can be recovered from. Is
> there a public API for this? If not, how could we go about doing this
> without relying on too many v8 internals?

As far as I know we currently don't have an API for this, but it seems like
a meaningful use case to support. I could imagine e.g. adding an IsValid
method to StartupData
<https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/v8/include/v8.h?l=8335&rcl=b72914434c3b864c2f6e17317c58b44038889a21>.
+Yang, any thoughts?

I opened https://crbug.com/v8/8104 to track this.