Title: Intent to Implement: Intl.DisplayNames API Proposal

Contact emails

ft...@chromium.com

Explainer

https://github.com/tc39/proposal-intl-displaynames

https://tc39.github.io/proposal-intl-displaynames/

Design doc/Spec

Engineering Plan https://goo.gl/im9wy4

Summary

Provides a new API to get localized names of language, region, script,
currency codes of international standard as well as commonly used names of
date fields and symbols.

Motivation

Main motivation for Intl.DisplayNames project was to enable developers to
get translation of language, region or script display names on the client.
Translation of languages, regions or script display names requires large
amount of data to transmit on the network, which is already available in
most browsers. These display name translations also carry steep data size
penalty for developers. This API will allow web developers to shrink the
size of their HTML and/ or ECMAScript code without the need to include the
human readable form of display names and therefore reduce the download size
to decrease latency. Also, this API will reduce the localization cost for
the web developers. Our goal is to expose this data through Intl API for
use in e.g. language, region and script pickers, etc.

Benefit

   -

   Reduce download size of apps and therefore improve latency.
   -

   Easy for users to build internationalized language, region or script
   selection UI components (drop down menu or other kinds).
   -

   Reduce translation cost for developers.
   -

   Consistent translation of language, region and script display name on
   the web.

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

This is a new API. It is currently under TC39 Stage 1 and we plan to
propose to advance it to Stage 2 in June 2019.

Ergonomics

Activation

Web developers could use the API immediately upon our shipment.

Debuggability

Nothing special.

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac,
Linux, Chrome OS, Android, and Android WebView)?

Yes.

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?

Tests under tc39/test262 will includes many tests to test this API.

Link to entry on the feature dashboard <https://www.chromestatus.com/>

https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/4965112605573120

Requesting approval to ship?

“No”. The feature is behind a runtime flag harmony_intl_display_names and I
will later send an Intent to Ship
<https://docs.google.com/a/chromium.org/document/d/1EyRTYnF2bmgqwYQQTDs2R2BT3ZSx29iPCFKTQiS_37o/edit>
email when I am ready to enable by default.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/v8-users/CAOcELL-oXxvg5OgbukD54YfT9h0QcURtbTXnM7XSrzxDz3tPYA%40mail.gmail.com.