Yes. This is behind a proxy.  I am also working under cygwin, and have env
variables set for http_proxy, https_proxy and ftp_proxy.  I've double
checked the env vars, and they work with other tools like curl, wget, pip,
gem install, ...

As a twist on this, I tried the install on a public net with no proxy, and
it still failed.

Next I tried a public net using windows CMD prompt, and that worked!

Finally, behind proxy using windows CMD failed.

It's useful to know I can get a plugin, but ultimately, to socialize this
tool to coworkers it would have to work behind a proxy.