running vagrant up with --debug gives a little more detail (slightly
different error?):

*ERROR vagrant: Vagrant experienced an error! Details:*
*ERROR vagrant: #<Vagrant::Errors::NetSSHException: An error occurred in
the underlying SSH library that Vagrant uses.*
*The error message is shown below. In many cases, errors from this*
*library are caused by ssh-agent issues. Try disabling your SSH*
*agent or removing some keys and try again.*

*If the problem persists, please report a bug to the net-ssh project.*

*timeout during server version negotiating>*
*ERROR vagrant: An error occurred in the underlying SSH library that
Vagrant uses.*
*The error message is shown below. In many cases, errors from this*
*library are caused by ssh-agent issues. Try disabling your SSH*
*agent or removing some keys and try again.*

*If the problem persists, please report a bug to the net-ssh project.*

*timeout during server version negotiating*

Has there been a change to OSX / ssh that won't play with vagrant ? Seems
unlikely because I can ssh to the VM from terminal with no problem.

Vagrant is also connecting to the VM with a username and password, not a
stored key. My config has been working fine for years.