Think of it like this.

To test/use your Image locally:

Vagrant => Creates a VM and Runs Ansible*  => Provisions the Virtualbox in
the exact way you want it.

Virtualbox = VM Hypervisor (Could also be VMWare, Docker, etc)
Vagrant = Programatically set up a VM with the amount of RAM, CPU,
Networking, etc. you want
Ansible = Set up the VM with the packages, scripts, files, users,
permissions, etc ... you need to make your application run

* I use Ansible, but as suggested by others, Salt, Chef, Puppet, CFEngine
are all valid options as well

To test/use your Image in the cloud or even locally:

You could use Packer to create the Hypervisor Image (VMWare, Amazon EC2,
Docker, SZure, GC, and even Vagrant)

The pattern, I believe, is called the roll-up pattern where you use Packer
to generate Machine (Hypervisor) Images for the cloud (Operating System,
RAM, CPU, etc) and manage the OS level stuff (files, users, permissions,
etc) with Ansible (or something like it).

--
Dan Morgan
617.444.9251