On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <
mic...@vanille-media.de> wrote:

> On Saturday 09 May 2009 15:06:59 Robert Palmqvist wrote:
> > Hi everyone, this is my first post to this mailing list so let me take
> the
> > opportunity to thank you all for a new and existing language
>
> Guess you meant "exciting" here ;)

Exactly, thanks for spotting it :)

> > (compared to
> > some other bloated hogs that never managed to catch my attention even
> > though the rest of the world seems to find it best things since sliced
> > bread)!
>
> Now you made me curious... which ones?

I really don't want to point fingers or start a "my language is better than
yours" type of flame war but you asked for it so... My main concerns are
Java and C#. It's not as much the languages (even though I personally find
Java too verbose) but the imposed overhead by the VM and the cumbersome
frameworks and tool-chains. I have for long waited for some new compiled
languages in the spirit of Python (witch I happen to love even though it has
a VM and lack the performance of C/C++) making me a more productive
developer without having to sacrify simplicity and performace. That's why I
find Vala and Genie so very existing to me!