On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 15:06 +0100, Jiří Zárevúcky wrote:
> Sam Wilson píše v Čt 25. 02. 2010 v 21:43 -0500:
> > Looks great, but I can't get it to compile with experimental non null
> > since the ?? operator is returning an 'int?'
> >

> That's a bug. ?? should have the second operand's type.

Okay, good, I thought I might have been going crazy.  Has it been
reported yet?

> > IMHO, as nice as this solution is, it seems a bit hackish for a language
> > that claims to support non-null types.
>
> Remember that non-null checking is experimental. That means it's not
> supposed to be complete and bug-free at this point.

I don't mean the checking for null, which I expect to be buggy.
I am referring to the language itself, which seems to have very few
constructs for dealing with NN types.

> >   Overall, Vala provides very few
> > features that make N.N. types more attractive compared to regular types
> > and personally I find them a pain to work with
> >

> Nobody's forcing you. It's an experimental feature you need to
> explicitly turn on. You have chosen to do so, you must bear the
> consequences - bugzilla awaits you :-P

I am not familiar enough to know when something is a bug, or when it is
a "feature", hence why I am here :)

I simply think that for NN types to become widely used, they should be
convenient. Having to define a method in every project that converts
between a nullable type and a NN type is slightly repetitive, and not
really convenient, hence why I proposed a new operator.