On 24/06/10 21:39, Abderrahim Kitouni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/6/24, Andrew <rugby...@gmail.com>:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>>  I am a programmer coming form python and I am trying to get to grips
>>  with Genie. One problem I am having is as follows:
>>
>>  Say I have a class called Gerrard and to create a new version of this
>>  class, I use the following:
>>
>>  var g = new Gerrard(arg1, arg2, arg3)
>>
>>  Now I wish to subclass Gerrard, into the class Terry. However I wish to
>>  be able to create a new version of Terry as follows:
>>
>>  var t = new Terry(arg1, arg2, arg3)
>>
>>  How do I do this in Genie?
> it's as simple as
> construct (arg1: type1, arg2: type2, arg3: type3)
>     super(arg1, arg2, arg3)
>
> BUT this won't work if the base class isn't defined in vala, in which
> case you'll need to find the properties initialized by the creation
> method (usually the same as the arg name) and chain up to GLib.Object
> directly, something like (untested) :
>
> construct (arg1: type1, arg2: type2, arg3: type3)
>     Object(arg1: arg1, arg2: arg2, arg3: arg3)
>
> HTH,
> Abderrahim

Thankyou for your help.

I tried the first method but it didn't work (it is a Gtk object and so I
doubted it would due to what you said above). I then tried to do the
second method but I didn't really understand what to do.

Could you do an example with this
http://people.canonical.com/~ted/libappindicator/current/AppIndicator.html#app-indicator-new
?

Again thankyou for you help