I may be wrong, but I'm not sure the Freemantle libxml2 is stripped
down. It is probably just old. It looks like xmlChildElementCount was
added with [1], so I don't think it would be available before 2.7.3.
What version does Freemantle ship?

-Evan

[1]
http://git.gnome.org/browse/libxml2/commit/?id=be2bd6ac6fb512d322a059408c6fd80a91b091cf