Hi,
في ر، 21-07-2010 عند 14:51 +0200 ، كتب andi:
> Hi list,
> I was wondering if anyone could give me or point me at some information
> on dova and its aims. I've been googling for quite some time now and
> read a bit of code in the gitorous repo. Of course, I also found the
> page on live.gnome.org.
Its aim is mainly to have vala without the quirks and limitations of
GObject. Vala with dova should be closer to Java and C# than now (but
it'll still be better ;-))
> But I still don't know the difference between GObject and dova. What new
> features will there be in dova, are dova objects compatible with
> GObjects in a way?
dova objects aren't compatible with GObject. I think there is a plan for
runtime bindings at some point but I don't know the details.
> Can dova by any chance be considered GObject 2.0?
You mean GObject 3, right? I think it could be more like "glib 4" (I
think this was the "codename" used to refer to dova as it was still an
idea)
> The ability to closely work with gobject libraries is a big benefit of
> vala, what kind of improvements will the dova framework earn us?
When you start using vala seriously (especially coming from Java/C#)
you'll find some difficulties related to how GObject works. Sometimes
vala works around them (e.g. constructor chaining-up), and sometimes it
cannot.
> Scripting is also mentioned on live.gnome.org - will there be a JIT-like
> approach?
ATM, there is the vala command so you can do something like
vala --pkg=gtk+-2.0 myfile.vala
and have it compiled and run (tcc does something like this for C).
it should also work with '#!' in the beggining of the file.
> I hope I didn't bother you with question the have already been
> answered... apart from one very short mail on this list and the somewhat
> shallow live.gnome.org page I really didn't find anything that describes
> the aims of dova.
Someone would have to play with dova enough to understand it and write
something to the wiki.

Abderrahim