---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Luca Dionisi <luca.dion...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Vala] Question about a basic coroutine example
To: Nor Jaidi Tuah <norjaidi.t...@ubd.edu.bn>

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Nor Jaidi Tuah <norjaidi.t...@ubd.edu.bn> wrote:

>> Once again, if you really need a cooperative multitasking in your app
>> (which by the way is not bad, unlike the cooperative multitasking in
>> the entire operating system that was m$ windows 3.11) you should
>> consider to give a try to GNU Pth. Otherwise, use threads.
>
> Can you elaborate on the features that make GNU Pth
> preferable to using async (or perhaps glib thread).
> My impression is that GNU Pth is simply a portable
> implementation of thread.

Coroutines and threads are different. Look at the manual for a good
introduction.
http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/pth-manual.html

As for vala async support, I tried using it. When you have a
more-than-banal scenario it's a mess.
Especially if you want to implement a custom scheduler. Say you want
to be able to pass the schedule to a specific task (such as for a
generator).

Async support in vala is just not meant to provide generic support for
coroutines.