I just solved the problem, I needed to pass this into the "C compiler"
field of the Anjuta project properties:

`pkg-config --cflags --libs glib-2.0 gtk+-3.0`

For some reason, without the gtk+-3.0, the build chokes on "undefined
reference: `g_type_init'". Also, it's a little strange that Anjuta needs to
be manually pointed to glib-2.0.

At any rate, this works for me now.

Thanks everyone for your time.