Indeed, it should have a more meaningful error. Don't forget to file a bug
report!

I have seen this behaviour with some other classes and I suspect it will
become more and more common as GLib/GTK/Clutter move towards preferring
composition over inheritance (and in certain cases enforcing it). Does Vala
need a "final" or "sealed" keyword for Classes?

Chris

> V Wed, 29 Jun 2016 07:39:13 +0000
> Luc Chante <luc.cha...@gmail.com> napsáno:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/GMenu.html#GMenu.other_details
> >
> > I'm not sure that GLib.Menu made to be overridable.
>
> In python PyObject is possible. But if could not be, that should not be
> in Vala, so the error should be from Vala not from C compiler.
>
> > You could decorate it : extend MenuModel, with a private property
> > which is a Menu, and override every methods of MenuModel by calling
> > the private property.
> >
> > private GLib.Menu internal_men;
> >
> > public override int get_n_items() {
> >     return this.internal_menu.get_n_items();
> > }
> >
> > Le mer. 29 juin 2016 à 08:44, Ondrej Tuma <konfere...@webjet.cz> a
> > écrit :
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I try to create GLib.Menu subclass, but it fails. Here is code:
> > >
> > > public class MyMenu : Menu {
> > >     public MyMenu(){
> > >         append ("Item label", "app.my-action");
> > >     }
> > > }
> > >
> > > And here is error:
> > >
> > > /home/mcbig/tmp-dev/vala/gmenu.vala.c:39:8: error: field
> > > ‘parent_instance’ has incomplete type
> > >   GMenu parent_instance;
> > >         ^
> > > /home/mcbig/tmp-dev/vala/gmenu.vala.c:44:2: error: unknown type name
> > > ‘GMenuClass’
> > >   GMenuClass parent_class;
> > >   ^
> > > error: cc exited with status 256
> > >
> > > Yes, there is not GMenuClass in gio/gio.h. I'm not sure if this
> > > problem is in gio/gio.h or gio-2.0.vapi. I got this error on debian
> > > Jessie (valac-0.26).
> > > What I see, glibmm define it's GMenuClass in it's giomm/menu.h.
>
> --
> Ondřej Tůma <mc...@zeropage.cz>
> www: http://ipv6.mcbig.cz   jabber: mc...@jabber.cz   twitter: mcbig_cz

Chris Daley