On 9/25/2014 5:45 AM, Skarakis, Konstantinos wrote:
> That's fantastic. Thank you very much for your time. It works great.
>
> Here's how I am using it:
>
> I have this line in my ~/.valgrindrc:
>
> --log-file=/software/valgrind/rpts/%s{"/software/dstring"}-%p-report.txt
>
> And these are the contents of /software/dstring:
>
> echo $(ps -f $PPID | tail -n 1 | awk "{print \$10}")-$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S%N)
>
> This results in this very nice log:
>
> $ valgrind ls
> cap.cap  cov  covfsn  md5r  rpts  rpts1  rpts_fsn_errors
>
> $ ls /software/valgrind/rpts
> ls-20140925123940975544578-18453-report.txt
>

> Kind Regards,
> Costas

You're welcome!  The use case that prompted me to add the feature was
using lackey to generate full memory access traces from a benchmark that
invoked subprocesses.  The traces are very large, and so I compress them
by piping lackey output to gzip.  This is easy to express for a single
process on the command line, but for dynamically generated subprocesses
I needed to construct a fifo, with gzip on the other end, and return
the path name of the fifo for valgrind to open.  As in your case, worked
great.

Cheers -- E