Dear Valgrind community,

I am happy to announce that migration of Valgrind sources from
existing Subversion SCM to modern git SCM will happen 14th August
2017.

What is going on now?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The migration has been tested and all infrastructure is in place now.
We still use the official SVN Valgrind repository for our work until
14th August 2017. If you have some patches ready now, send
them for review.

What will be migrated:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valgrind and VEX sources. Precisely sources available today under
svn://svn.valgrind.org/valgrind and svn://svn.valgrind.org/vex, including
all production release branches and tags. Valgrind and VEX repos will
be merged into one, so no more SVN externals.

Where I will find the new repo:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At sourceware.org. Precisely at:
git://sourceware.org/git/valgrind.git/
http://sourceware.org/git/valgrind.git/
Right now a snapshot of SVN sources as of 2017-06-26 is available for
you to test.

How the test migration was performed:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See recipes at https://github.com/ivosh/valgrind-git-migration

What is the plan for the migration to go forward:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. The test repo is still available to test - see below for details.
2. The migration final date has been announced.

3. On the day of the migration, the following will happen:
4. Completely eradicate contents in the git repository at sourceware.org
    so the migration can start from scratch.
5. Switch SVN valgrind+vex repo readonly.
6. Perform the final migration to sourceware.org (takes several hours).
7. Enable email notifications from the new git repo.
8. Push website changes to SVN www repo (www repo is not migrated).

What will not be migrated:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Valgrind www (website) repo. Not now, but later.
- Non production release branches and tags from old SVN Valgrind+VEX repos.
  If you need to preserve some other branches or tags, let us know *now*:
  https://sourceware.org/git/?p=valgrind.git;a=heads
  https://sourceware.org/git/?p=valgrind.git;a=tags

I have a write access to existing SVN repo. What shall I do for the new one?
sourceware.org email account with valgrind-developers alias.
I've sent the instructions separately - if you are missing them, let me know.

What will be my simple workflow in new git SCM?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not much will be changed from the way we worked in SVN.
We still prepare patches, send them for review, have someone
with write access to push them. A minimalistic workflow would be:

git clone git://sourceware.org/git/valgrind.git/ valgrind
edit/compile
git status/add/show
git pull --rebase origin/master
build + test
git commit
git show

if you have write access, then:
git remote set-url --push origin
ssh://<username>@sourceware.org/git/valgrind.git/
git push

There are a lot of good tutorials on simple git workflows, so please
have a look.
Bart prepared small GIT howto:
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=valgrind.git;a=blob;f=docs/internals/git-HOWTO.txt

If you are using something more complicated, please share with us and
ideally send us a write up.

Kind regards,
I.