On 5/24/21, Martin Licht via Valgrind-users wrote:

I think the Valgrind stack tracer is pretty great and I would like to use it as
a substitute for `backtrace` in my C++ debug builds.

It would help to give an explicit list of why valgrind's backtrace() is "pretty
great"
in contrast to GNU's.  The comment

https://blog.mozilla.org/nnethercote/2011/01/11/using-valgrind-to-get-stack-traces/#comment-438
identifies one item: GNU backtrace() shows only global (non-static) symbols.
What else?

Also, a detailed list would make a good request for enhancement
at https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html ,
especially if accompanied by an actual test case
that shows how much better valgrind backtrace() is currently.