Hi

Can you give us

the source of the small reproducer

the versions of Valgrind, Debian, GCC and glibc?

As you mention, functions like strncmp are often optimized to work on multiple bytes at a time and to take advantage of the fact that memory will always be allocated in a multiple of say 8 or 16 bytes. And what happens sometime is that a function like strncmp will be replaced by the compiler with something like __strncmp_avx128 or something like that. If Valgrind doesn't recognize this it can't redirect it and do error checking on it.

I would expect that the error message contain the name of the Valgrind redirect, for instance

==22489==    at 0x4033B7C: __strncmp_sse42 (vg_replace_strmem.c:712)

Si it seems to me that you have a redirection problem. For some reason Valgrind is not seeing your strncmp when the client libc gets loaded into memory.

A+

Paul