On Feb 20, 2019, at 4:37 PM, fo...@univ-mlv.fr wrote:

> [...]

Interesting data point.  My inner mechanism purist is looking
for a straw to grasp at.

>> The other alternative is to push the expense of a
>> substitutability test into acmp and op==.  This will
>> please "semantics purists" (which I can be also), and
>> displease only those people who happen to run over
>> the performance potholes.  We don't have any proof
>> that those potholes will be significant; what we do
>> have is many ideas for working around those problems
>> if they should occur.  It feels like making acmp
>> potentially expensive also entails making it
>> potentially *inexpensive* again also, at the cost
>> of some engineering in the JVM and JDK.
>>
>> Many uses of acmp which will turn into a
>> substitutability test are (we think) in generic
>> code which is using runtime typing and is
>> reused for a range of different types, some
>> values and some classic references.  You
>> could probably write a book on how such
>> codes are optimized today, and most of the
>> existing techniques that provide necessary
>> devirtualization would also solve for expensive
>> acmp.
>

> I will be harsh here because i don't share your optimism, we are introducing
> value types, departing from the comfy model of everything is an object, in
> part because countless hours have been spent trying to improve escape
> analysis to be more reliable. You are talking about the same kind of
> optimisations that will work great for some cases and not for others.
> Substituting an unreliable mechanism to an other unreliable mechanism doesn't
> look like a win.

And if there are no reliable mechanisms, you pick your poison.
So the paradoxical "always return false" is reliable, except that
it will produce an unpredictable amount of future confusion
to people who have been trained to expect a reflexive op==.
I.e., there are risks in every direction.

(Remi, I wish everyone were harsh like you.  It would be a
better world.)

>> I think also we will want to bake into the JVMS
>> some kind of permission to strength-reduce acmp
>> with a nearby Object.equals call, by making equals
>> into a semi-intrinsic that the JVM can reorder
>> and merge with acmp.  Reflexivity of equals
>> is in the javadoc but not in the JVMS and so
>> JITs don't make use of it now.  But they might
>> want to if acmp became a subject of optimization.
>>
>> Another idea we may wish to play with is an API
>> point which provides the fixed-cost approximate
>> equality test that acmp provides today.  It would
>> not be acmp but rather something with a name
>> like "System.fastSubstitituabilityTest".  Programmers
>> of sophisticated libraries could use this as an
>> alternative component to the famous LIFE
>> (Legacy Idiom For Equality).  The Objects.equals
>> API point, for example, would convert to a new
>> LIFE instead of remaining stuck in its old LIFE.
>> (We could spend a LIFE-time punning about this.)
>>
>> So the proposed System.isSubstitutable would
>> be implemented as "return x==y", using the
>> slow-but-steady acmp instruction, while the
>> other thing would be an intrinsic native method,
>> with complicated weasel words in its spec.
>
> or better, to provide a direct replacement of the LIFE pattern,
> System.fastEquals(), that does an acmp if the arguments are references before
> calling equals i.e. get ride of LIFE instead of trying to emulate it by
> providing what people want which is a faster equals when possible. It's time
> to unplug LIFE from it life support and let it go :)

Well, that's what Objects.equals is, right?  That's
the correct formula to use instead of writing out
the LIFE formula by hand.

(It's a better method than a LIFE sentence for
reforming wayward code.)

>> Where there's an equals there's a hash code, so…
>>
>> Next Question:  Should System.identityHashCode
>> throw an exception, return zero, or do a deep
>> hash code when presented with a value instance?
>> Since it's a niche function used by experts, maybe
>> the surprising behavior of throwing an exception
>> is permissible, where making op== non-reflexive
>> would surprise everyone.  I do believe we want a
>> new API point System.substitutabilityHashCode
>> so that code can truly and explicitly opt into
>> processing that aspect of value types, rather than
>> getting accidental results from System.iHC.
>
> these both methods are nice candidate for being (Java) compiler intrinsic,
> which is something i've already contemplated, instead of specifying that a
> record equals/hashCode and toString() should be desugared to invokedynamic, i
> think it's better to introduce three new methods structuralEquals,
> structuralHashCode, structuralToString in the API and say in the spec that
> for a record the generated equals/hashCode/toString are semantically
> equivalent to calling structuralEquals/structuralHashCode/structuralToString.

Ooh, I like this story.  I'll gladly trade in "substitutability"
for "structural" if I can get a side order of toString.

— John