> On Jul 10, 2020, at 12:46 PM, Kevin Bourrillion <kev...@google.com> wrote:
>
> My reason for complaining here is not just about the java.time types
> themselves, but to argue that this is an important 4th bucket we should be
> concerned about. In some ways it is a bigger problem that Bucket #3 "no good
> default", since it is an actively harmful default.
>
> For all of these types, there is one really fantastic default value that does
> everything you would want it to do: null. That is why these types should not
> become inline types, or certainly not val-default inline types, and why Error
> Prone will have to ban usage of `.val` if they do.

Appreciate the thoughts, this is definitely relevant.

For the purpose of this discussion, I'd say you're arguing for these classes to
move to Bucket #3. Because then the question becomes, just like for the other
classes there: do we use the Bucket #3 strategies to support these as inline
classes, or do we give up and leave them as identity classes?