Two more thoughts:  You could get away with saying “indivisible unit”; I think
that would convey much of what you mean.  Also, a footnote drawing the reader’s
attention to native hardware types (long, byte, float, reference) would make it
clear that a Java computation is meant to “bottom out” in operations on units
of data familiar to assembly programmers.  They are indivisible units, but even
more important, their operations are natural to real computers.