----- Original Message -----

The reason John gave for allowing a <new> method to return a super type is for
lambda proxies.

A lambda proxies is a hidden value class, i.e. a value class loaded by
lookup.defineHiddenClass(),
given that a hidden class as no real name, the idea is to use Object or perhaps
the functional interface as return type.
If the functional interface is used, there will be no weird cast in the
bytecode.

[...]

> --Dan

Rémi