Hi Bruce,

I agree, but don’t see anything conceptualized in the current TBRs which would
represent this. I’m not sure how to fully capture this simply. For part of the
prerequisites we’re describing — though I’m pretty sure it’s not a good idea —
we could possibly add this into the hypothetical clarifying language
to-be-added to the new Section 7.1.2.2.6 with something along the lines of “the
CA Certificate whose Subject Name and Subject Public Key Information are being
signed as a Cross-Certified Subordinate CA MUST contain a
basicConstraints:pathLenConstraint and the value of the pathLenConstraint MUST
NOT be `0`”.

However, that kind of requirement doesn’t prohibit such a CA Certificate from
issuing Subscriber Certificates and I don’t know of a technical means of
representing that a CA Certificate doesn’t issue end-entity certificates and so
should not be used by relying parties in chain validation as the issuing CA of
a leaf. Limiting it to Root CA Certificates was the best I could come up with
that doesn’t scope creep this change substantially, but hopefully someone else
sees something I don’t. If nothing else, we could probably add that language
into this same new Section as a “If a Cross-Certified Subordinate CA contains
more than one Reserved Certificate Policy Identifier, it MUST NOT sign
Subscriber Certificates” sort of caveat/condition.

Thanks,
-Clint