Dubai Stability will return

Key events such as the floatation of the $20 billion (Dh73.4bn) bond
by the Dubai Government, expected lowering of interest rates and
increasing liquidity should see things bottoming out in the summer,
according to Hamad Buamin, Dubai Chamber Director-General.
We could see stabilisation in the second half of 2009, Buamin told
Emirates Business.
He pointed out that 2008 was an exceptional year and that though
things would be slower this year, there will still be growth.
The overall trade may fall by 10-15 per cent but things are not as bad
as some had expected, said Buamin. Yes, there is a slowdown in
comparison to January of last year but it's much smaller that what
everybody was expecting.
He said there are many factors that are responsible for slowdown in
trade. If we talk about reduction in the volume of trade, it is not
related to just a slowdown in business, said Buamin.
Remember there are many things at play. The reduction in volume of
trade is also impacted by falling prices. Last year we were talking of
inflation but now it's reversing. Moreover, demand is coming from the
region and those markets are affected by oil prices. So any reduction
in oil prices directly affects trade. And yes, then there is the
slowdown, he added.
However, the movements by the government have been very positive and
we are seeing confidence coming back, he said. There is a revival in
market sentiment. I see interest rates coming down and money will find
its way back to the market.
He said the real estate sector was supported. Nearly 70 per cent of
major companies that we have here are either government owned or semi-
government and they will definitely take care of their own companies.
Buamin said the recent growth in this sector in the past was simply
too high. Growth in 2008 was too high. We grew at around 80 per cent
in the first three quarters and I think then it fell in the last
quarter but still we are higher than January of last year.
We really didn't see downturn in terms of value of assets that were
sold but we've definitely seen a reduction in speculation and that has
its own positive affects on the market, he said, while talking about
the property sector.

Read more articles on

http://donnieproperties.blogspot.com