There are 6 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Sanskritisation
           From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      2. Re: Sanskritisation
           From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      3. Re: The Jaffna Seal
           From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      4. Re: Tamil Dialects of Sri Lanka
           From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      5. Contact-Induced Morphosyntactic Realignment in Negombo Fishermen¡¯s
Tamil
           From: "RVS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      6. Caste specific dialect of drummers of Jaffna
           From: "RVS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 17:22:06 -0000
   From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Sanskritisation

There are number of books on the "Tamil/Muslim" history of
Batticaloa. But in general it is the history of peaceful settlement
of competing fisher communities/merchant guilds from South Tamil
Nadu/Kerala such as Mukkuvas, Karaiyar, Thimilar, mopillas  etc as
well as from the western and northern coast of Sri Lanka.

This also should be viewed in tandem with the arrival so
called "Vanniar" cheifs with South Indian armies that stayed on to
rule the area.

Assimilation has also added layers of Veddahs and Sinhalese into the
Tamil/muslim fold.

--- In varalaaRu@yahoogroups.com, "af7802" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is the history of Batticaloa?  Why is their language closer
> Indian dialect than Jaffna?  Why don't they follow Agamas in
temple
> worship.  Why is casteism weaker?
>
> Are all these things just part of "high" culture, not involving
the
> masses?

> --- In varalaaRu@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Sanskritisation is a model that doesn't need a sizeable number
of
> > Brahmins per say to take place. Jaffna was a kingdom with its
> > associated trappings of state power, rituals and rules. All were
> > modeled on what is at that time considered to be proper
governance
> > which included what we today ins anthropological terms call as
> > Sanskritisation
> >
> > Batticaloa was never fully integrated into this socio –political
> view
> > point because most of the area was semi independent and came
under
> > the purview of the Kandyan kingdom.
> >
> > Sanskritisation is associated with so called high culture
similar
> > the westernization that is going on amongst the elites in South
> Asia
> > today. Speaking in English and sending children over  to Convent
> > schools and discssing about Kafta in cafe over a Columbian
coffee
> > whereing T- shirts and jeans is not generally an option for a
> person
> > from a village.
> >
> > It is that simple why Jaffna and other Tamil hinterlands
differed
> in
> > their so called "high" culture but at the mass level the people
> > outlook on life was not that different in Jaffna, Batticalao or
> > Mannar.

Message: 2
There are number of books on the "Tamil/Muslim" history of
Batticaloa. But in general it is the history of peaceful settlement
of competing fisher communities/merchant guilds from South Tamil
Nadu/Kerala such as Mukkuvas, Karaiyar, Thimilar, mopillas  etc as
well as from the western and northern coast of Sri Lanka.

This also should be viewed in tandem with the arrival so
called "Vanniar" cheifs with South Indian armies that stayed on to
rule the area.

Assimilation has also added layers of Veddahs and Sinhalese into the
Tamil/muslim fold.

--- In varalaaRu@yahoogroups.com, "af7802" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is the history of Batticaloa?  Why is their language closer
> Indian dialect than Jaffna?  Why don't they follow Agamas in
temple
> worship.  Why is casteism weaker?
>
> Are all these things just part of "high" culture, not involving
the
> masses?

> --- In varalaaRu@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Sanskritisation is a model that doesn't need a sizeable number
of
> > Brahmins per say to take place. Jaffna was a kingdom with its
> > associated trappings of state power, rituals and rules. All were
> > modeled on what is at that time considered to be proper
governance
> > which included what we today ins anthropological terms call as
> > Sanskritisation
> >
> > Batticaloa was never fully integrated into this socio –political
> view
> > point because most of the area was semi independent and came
under
> > the purview of the Kandyan kingdom.
> >
> > Sanskritisation is associated with so called high culture
similar
> > the westernization that is going on amongst the elites in South
> Asia
> > today. Speaking in English and sending children over  to Convent
> > schools and discssing about Kafta in cafe over a Columbian
coffee
> > whereing T- shirts and jeans is not generally an option for a
> person
> > from a village.
> >
> > It is that simple why Jaffna and other Tamil hinterlands
differed
> in
> > their so called "high" culture but at the mass level the people
> > outlook on life was not that different in Jaffna, Batticalao or
> > Mannar.

Message: 3