There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Tamil Dialects of Sri Lanka
           From: "af7802" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      2. Re: Sanskritisation
           From: "af7802" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      3. Re: Reference Material on Jaffna Tamil Dailect
           From: "af7802" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:30:18 -0000
   From: "af7802" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tamil Dialects of Sri Lanka

Caste may have come from Kerala.  How are the languages similar?

--- In varalaaRu@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Practically the Batticalao speech is the speech of the Mukkuva
> community of South Tamil Nadu/Kerala as it was when the immigration
> happened.
>
> Let's look at a similar situation. The so called Taiwanese language
> is an ofshoot of the Fujian/Min dialect of Mainland China. Haklo
> community makes up 80% of Taiwanese but their kin group in the
> Fujian province is a sub dialect of the major Min dialect. But this
> little group spread across the whole of Taiwan.
>
> Similalrly for the Eastern region of Tamil Speaking Sri Lanka, it
is
> the influence of Mukkuva community whose kindred people today
happen
> to mostly dwell in South Kerala and Kanyakumari district of Tamil
> Nadu, that is paramount.
>
> In Eastern hinterland this community formed the workers, feudal
> lords, merchants and filled all possible niches but in the process
> did not overly become Sanskritised due to week political controls.
>
> Their Tamil culture was based on "folk' Hinduism truer to its Tamil
> roots.
>
> But we also have to take onto account the Muslism portion of the
> popultaion beacuse as of today they have become a strong element
and
> they share many cultural/linguistic relationships with their Tamil
> neibhours.
>

> --- In varalaaRu@yahoogroups.com, "af7802" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Very little research has been done on Batticaloa culture.  It is
> > Sivathamby himself who has described how Agamas not used in
> temples,
> > and casteism is weaker.
> >
> > Prof. S. Suseendirarajah had written a brief article on pronouns
> in
> > Batticaloa Tamil.  He has shown that system of pronouns displays
> > great similarity to Indian Tamil- only two demonstrative bases
> > instead of three ("avar" & "ivar", but no "uvar"), little use of
> > intermediate respectful "niir" (in between polite niingkaL and
> > impolite nii), and use of 3rd person pronouns more similar to
> Indian
> > Tamil.
> >
> > In the same article, he looked at assimilation.  Whereas Jaffna
> Tamil
> > assimilates -nR- to -NT- (like 'enRu' to 'eNTu') and Indian Tamil
> > makes it to -nn- ('ennu'), Batticaloa will mix both
assimilation.
> He
> > has hypothesized that Batticaloa Tamil is a more recent
emigration
> > than Jaffna from India, and one influence of Jaffna Tamil dialect
> is
> > on this assimiation.
> >
> > Jaffna Tamil uses some Sangam Tamil words in day-to-day speech,
> > like 'mukil' (cloud) and 'nirai' (row).  Is Batticaloa vocabulary
> > similar to Jaffna?
> >

> > -AF
> >
> > --- In varalaaRu@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > According to Prof Kathigesu Sivathamby, in his article titled "
> Sri
> > > Lankan Tamil Society and Plitics". None of the Sri Lankan Tamil
> > > dialects are close to any of the standard Tamil Nadu Tamil
> > Dialects.
> > >
> > > All Sri Lankan Tamil Dialects are variants of Tamil/Malayalam
> > > Dialects used in Southern Tamil Nadu and South coastal Kerala
> and
> > > have evolved independantly in a regional manner in Sri lanka.

> closer
> > temple

> involving
> > the

Message: 2
   Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:28:53 -0000
   From: "af7802" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sanskritisation

what are these books

--- In varalaaRu@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> There are number of books on the "Tamil/Muslim" history of
> Batticaloa. But in general it is the history of peaceful settlement
> of competing fisher communities/merchant guilds from South Tamil
> Nadu/Kerala such as Mukkuvas, Karaiyar, Thimilar, mopillas  etc as
> well as from the western and northern coast of Sri Lanka.
>
> This also should be viewed in tandem with the arrival so
> called "Vanniar" cheifs with South Indian armies that stayed on to
> rule the area.
>
> Assimilation has also added layers of Veddahs and Sinhalese into
the
> Tamil/muslim fold.
>
> --- In varalaaRu@yahoogroups.com, "af7802" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > What is the history of Batticaloa?  Why is their language closer
> > Indian dialect than Jaffna?  Why don't they follow Agamas in
> temple
> > worship.  Why is casteism weaker?
> >
> > Are all these things just part of "high" culture, not involving
> the
> > masses?
>
> > --- In varalaaRu@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > Sanskritisation is a model that doesn't need a sizeable number
> of
> > > Brahmins per say to take place. Jaffna was a kingdom with its
> > > associated trappings of state power, rituals and rules. All
were
> > > modeled on what is at that time considered to be proper
> governance
> > > which included what we today ins anthropological terms call as
> > > Sanskritisation
> > >
> > > Batticaloa was never fully integrated into this socio –
political
> > view
> > > point because most of the area was semi independent and came
> under
> > > the purview of the Kandyan kingdom.
> > >
> > > Sanskritisation is associated with so called high culture
> similar
> > > the westernization that is going on amongst the elites in South
> > Asia
> > > today. Speaking in English and sending children over  to
Convent
> > > schools and discssing about Kafta in cafe over a Columbian
> coffee
> > > whereing T- shirts and jeans is not generally an option for a
> > person
> > > from a village.
> > >
> > > It is that simple why Jaffna and other Tamil hinterlands
> differed
> > in
> > > their so called "high" culture but at the mass level the people
> > > outlook on life was not that different in Jaffna, Batticalao or
> > > Mannar.

Message: 3
   Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:35:18 -0000
   From: "af7802" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reference Material on Jaffna Tamil Dailect

S. Suseendirarajah.  "A Study of Pronouns in Batticaloa Tamil."
Anthropological Linguistics (Bloomington, IN) 15, no.4 (Apr 1973) 172-
182
"Phonology of Srilanka Tamil and Indian Tamil Contrasted."  Indian
Linguistics (Pune) 34, no.3 (Sep 1973) 171-179
"Indian Tamil and Sri Lanka Tamil: a study in contrast." Indian
Journal of Linguistics 2, no.2 (Jul-Dec 1975) 107-117

S. Thananjayarajasingham.  "Adjectival System in Jaffna Tamil: a
Prosodic Analysis." Indian Linguistics (Pune) 35, no.1 (Mar 1974) 31-
43
"The Pronoun and Adverbial Systems in Ceylon Tamil: a Grammatical
Study."  Acta Orientalia (Copenhagen) 38 1977 67-76

Wickramasinghe,Wimal. Studies in Sri Lankan Tamil linguistics and
culture: Select papers of Suseendirarajah. K.Balasubramanian,
K.Ratnamalar & R.Subathini (eds). Sri Lanka : University of
Jaffna.1999. IJDL . Vol.29(2), pp.157-166.