http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/5dOolB/TM

There is 1 message in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Digest Number 379
           From: Raveen S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:59:29 -0800 (PST)
   From: Raveen S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 379

Name withheld due to privacy reason. Forwarded e-mail.
A member's personal experience of assimilation taking
place in Sri Lanka.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

Raveen

Last year (2004 March/April) I was in Hatton,
Maskeliya,Norwood etc. A lot of students from Hatton
Highland Maha Vidyalayam get
into Universities these days. I was told that these
estate Thamil boys who enter University, some even to
Medical faculty, after graduating don't go back to the
estates to live. Instead they find employment in
Colombo and other Sinhalese areas and ventually
marrying Sinhalese.

An estate Thamil Doctor  working at the Negombo
Hospital got married to a Sinhalese nurse.

Up to the eighties the hill country Thamils lived in
estates which were in  effect small islands surrounded
by Sinhalese
villages.  But with the  nationalization of estates
the boundary between estates and villages disappeared.
Consequently the number of  mixed marriages is on the
increase than a couple of years back.

During riots in the nineties estate Thamils living in
Hambantota were thrashed by Sinhalese hooligans. But
the news report
said the children of those Thamils were attending
Sinhala schools as there  were no Thamil schools in
close vicinity!

About 50 years a go I was working at Ratnapura
Kachcheri. While travelling from Ratnapura to Colombo
by train I saw estate
Thamil youths singing baila songs in perfect
Sinhalese!

The Sinhalese government does not worry much about the
hill country Thamils on the belief  they will get
assimilative in course of time!

You could have also mentioned the Colombo Chetties
like Kassi Chetties who have got assimilated  and now
have  Sinhalese
identity.

Not only Thamils have become Sinhalese they have
become Muslims too! The Puttalam Muslims were Thamil
Mukkuvar who after
losing a war with the Karavas got converted to Islam.
This was in
gratitude to the help received from the Muslims in
their war ageist Karayaar.

Kaththankudy is a pure Thamil name which shows it was
peopled by Thamils. I read sometime ago that the
Muslim settlement in
Eravur was founded by a Kaththan familiy that migrated
to that place.

http://farechase.yahoo.com